Are you an introvert? Not sure? Think being an introvert is the same thing as being shy? We have a lot to talk about!
Hi, I’m Stacey. I’m an introvert. I’m also tremendously talkative, self-confident and not the tiniest bit shy. Sound like a contradiction? Not really. In this episode, I’m going to talk about what an introvert really is, plus dispel some misconceptions. I’ll fill you in on the strengths of an introvert, as well as some strategies to cope with challenging situations.
What is an introvert?
An introvert is someone who needs alone time to truly thrive. Interacting with people is often draining. Although being 100% introverted is rare, we all fall along the introvert-extrovert continuum. People with more than 50% introverted tendencies are usually considered introverts.
- Think best on their own
- Find ‘small talk’ draining
- Notice subtle cues
- Have a strong internal monologue
- Are thorough
- Are independent & work well on their own
- Excel in 1-on-1 interactions and deep conversations
What are great strategies for an introvert?
Contrary to what you may have been told, being an introvert gives you AMAZING skills for running your own business! You work well on your own, driving your business forward. And for every situation that presents challenges, there are fairly simple solutions you can implement.
- How to turn ‘networking events’ into an opportunity for genuine conversation, where you excel
- Managing ‘group work’ and translating it into great individual work
- Strategies to scheduling your day to maximize your energy levels
- The power of working in writing
By the end of this episode, you’ll be on board with celebrating the joys of being an introvert!
Book recommendations and links:
- Quiet by Susan Cain
- Hiding in the Bathroom by Morra Aarons-Mele
- Secret Lives of Introverts by Jenn Granneman
- The Highly Sensitive Person by Judy Dyer
Stacey Trock is a consultant in brand management and social media. She helps small businesses engage authentically with their customers by developing both long-term content plans and live social media event coverage. Stacey teaches and writes about business for Creative Live, Industry organizations and trade magazines.
How to listen
- You can subscribe to it on iTunes (If you do, leave a review!)
- You can listen to it using the player above or download it.
- Subscribe or listen via Stitcher (or subscribe in whatever you use for podcasts – just search “Explore Your Enthusiasm” and it should pop up!).