I follow my enthusiasm by reading…a lot. And once a month, I’ll share (some of) the books I read last month and the books I intend to read this month. You can share your list of books in the comments, or we can talk about any of the books that you want to read along with me.
What I read in June
I can't believe I hadn't read The Handmaid's Tale before now. I was amazed by how modern this story of a distopian future felt (right in line with the Hunger Games and Divergent, with a young female narrator navigating a not-so-distant future). If you think much about women's rights, this book will delight (and frighten) you.
Just like Divergent, I gulped down Insurgent in one weekend. Fun and face-paced, I can't wait for the final part of the series!
I was super-honored to be an early reader for my friend Kyeli's new book about loss and motherhood, Time and Again. If you've ever struggled with fertility or wanted to save your younger self, you'll enjoy it! (Crying alert! I bawled my eyes out!)
The Great Gatsby
Loving What Is
July's To Read List
- A Walk in the Woods – I started this in June, and although it's rather slow, I'm liking it! (On Goodreads)
- Declaration of You – the one book I bought this month! I've long admired the work of Jessica Swift + Michelle Ward, so I can't wait to read it! (On GoodReads)
- Ocean at the End of The Lane – Neil Gaiman! I've read everything he's written, so I was the first person on the request list at the library for it! (On GoodReads)
- You Can't Make This Stuff Up – from my list in May, I hope to actually have the brainspace to read it this time! (On GoodReads)
- The Writer's Life, by Annie Dillard. I read some quotes from this on Brain Pickings, so I snagged it when I saw it at the library. (On GoodReads)
- The Brontes. Recommended by Vanessa, I bought this for just $2 on the Kindle…and promptly forgot about it. Hope to dive into it soon! (On GoodReads)
- My friend + fellow Starship Captain Amy published a novel! You better believe I snapped it right up!
(For more reading inspiration, visit the comments of June's, May's, April's, and March's book club.)
What are you reading this month?
What was your favorite book of June?
Please note! I’m an affiliate for Amazon, which means I get book money if you buy through the links I’ve used here. (So far, I've earned enough for half of a book, or one grande soy latte.) GoodReads is a free tool for tracking what you read. I read all of these books via my library, which I strongly recommend!