I follow my enthusiasm by reading…a lot. And once a month, I share (some of) the books I read last month and the books I intend to read this month. You can join the informal book club by sharing your own list in the comments and find all the posts here.
What I read
- Zero to One, by Peter Theil – This is a book about how to create something from scratch (through the lens of a venture funded tech start-up). Even though you probably don't have investors to please, the book is filled with smart advice for how to think of your tiny business and the mindset that's required to make something completely new (to go from 0 to 1).
- The Saga series, by Brian Vaughn – So good. I read a lot of comics and I don't know why I don't talk about them here, but I love this one. Also, the new Thor is fantastic and Hawkeye has beautiful art (and one of the best female characters in I've read anywhere, in a while).
- Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel – Oh man. This is one of the best memoirs I've read. Ever.
- Funny Girl, by Nick Hornby – Funny! I was obsessed with I Love Lucy as a kid (I've read all of Lucy's biographies and watched all the episodes multiple times, thanks to my local library), so this book was right up my alley. I notice that in months where I have a LOT of work (I wrote 6 weeks worth of class content and 4 weeks worth of blog content in 2.5 weeks in March!), I tend to stick with fiction. Non-fiction (especially about business!) gives me so many ideas and sparks so many new projects, that I have to avoid it if I'm going to follow-through on months that are already packed.
What I’m reading
- The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century
- As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
- Since I'm travelling a lot this month, I hope to (finally) read some of my Kindle books, which tend to get pushed to the bottom of the list, because library due dates. I'm looking forward to The Obstacle is the Way, Playing Big, The Brontes, Frankenstein.
Find of the month: Love Gilmore Girls and reading? Olive made an awesome Rory Gilmore Reading List! LOVE!
What are you reading?
PS. What I was reading last year.
The usual disclaimery disclaimer applies!