Last week a Captain asked me about how to deal with Fear of Success.
First: What is it? Once you've identified what you're really afraid of (hint: it's probably not “success”), how do you overcome it? That's what we'll cover today.
In my experience working with creatives, what looks like “fear of success” is usually a fear of something else:
- Fear that you need to have the kind of “success” other people want … which doesn't appeal to you at all.
- Fear that you'll change into something you don't like
- Fear of being seen, noticed, paid attention to
- Fear of being overwhelmed
- Fear of disappointing others (when you're so overwhelmed you can't fulfill expectations)
- Fear you can't handle it
- Fear of being “found out” for being not good enough (ie, Imposter syndrome)
What are you really afraid of?
We'll discuss these fears and how to create the kind of business success you want, even while feeling the fear.
How to listen
- You can subscribe to it on iTunes (If you do, leave a review!)
- You can listen to it using the player above or download it.
- Subscribe or listen via Stitcher (or subscribe in whatever you use for podcasts – just search “Explore Your Enthusiasm” and it should pop up!).
Find all the podcast episodes here.