I follow my enthusiasm by reading…a lot. And once a month, I’ll share (some of) the books I read last month and the books I intend to read this month. You can share your list of books in the comments, or we can talk about any of the books that you want to read along with me.
What I read in July
Ocean at the End of The Lane - Beautiful and mysterious and exactly what I expected from Neil Gaiman. (If you haven’t yet, go and read all of his books. Right now.)
I started The Woman Upstairs and decided not to finish it. I just didn’t like the narrator at all, and when I found myself avoiding it, I remembered: I believe in quitting! Why spend more time with someone you don’t like?
(And there were more, but not worth talking about. You can find all the books I read on GoodReads)
I’m also taking the Declaration of You slowly. It’s my feeling-stuck un-sticker during my workday!
August’s To Read List
- We were talking about money and our relationship with it in the Starship (and I was gushing over how much I like You Need a Budget) and a captain recommended Your Money Or Your Life. Even though I’m feeling pretty great (for the first time in my life!) with how I’m managing things, I’m reading this book as research, so I have something good to recommend when people ask (I usually recommend Ramit Sethi’s book (automation!) and this Dave Ramsey book (debt reduction!)).
- Jay and I used to send funny posts by Jon Acuff to each other all the time, so when I saw Start at the library I snatched it up. “Punch Fear in the Face?” Um, ok! Probably another book to recommend to explorers.
- I also picked up Making Good on a whim. After deciding to donate 10% of sales to Al’s Obliteride, I’ve been thinking more about integrating philanthropy a part of my business. I’ve been giving $25 in Kiva loans (to help other tiny businesses!) for every Starship captain, and I’d like to be more comfortable talking about it. (I know I don’t do a great job, because, well, I’ve been tithing my income my whole life and was taught not to talk about it…so I’m looking for a way to make doing good integral to what we’re doing here, without feeling showy.)
And..there’s a pile of books my friends wrote, that are filling up my Kindle:
- Do Nothing, Get Rich – a parody of the “get rich” books, written by my uncle (his name is not Moneylicious)! He’s funny + smart, so I’m looking forward to reading it.
- Amy’s novel! I’ve been feeling fiction-less and adrift since giving up The Woman Upstairs, so I’m looking forward to something fun!
- Stephanie’s not-quite-released yet novel. (I’m an early reader! Yay!) Watch her space for updates!
- Diane’s book comes out August 27th! If you like quilting and self-discovery (which are, like, my two most-favorite things ever), I think we’re gonna love this book. I can’t wait for my copy to arrive (pre-order yours here!)
What are you reading this month?
What was your favorite book of July?
Disclaimer-y Disclaimer! I was given a free copy of my uncle’s book and Stephanie’s. But I’m not in any way coerced into saying nice things, or even mentioning them. Or course I’m biased when my friends write a book, but I don’t mention things I don’t like. (I bought Amy + Diane’s book.) Read the usual disclaimer here.